Starry Bright Sky Sundays (7) - prep and think!


In early August, I announced the Starry Bright Sky QAL and many people subscribed to the mailing list and they seem to be excited about this event!!

Even if the QAL will start in 2018, I decided to start a series of posts (one every 2 weeks, on Sunday) to reveal bits and pieces of the events, so that I can get your feedback and we can get more excited about it!!

I will announce sponsors, featured techniques, color scheme options, layouts, and much much more! There are several special things that I've never seen in other QALs before so I hope you will find them intriguing, inspiring and a learning experience!!

I am working on different layouts, different colorways, sponsors and giveaways, etc. It is going to be extra fun!

If you are interested in learning more about this QAL and join the fun, leave your email address in the Google Form in the QAL page at this link.

In previous weeks I shared:
  1. the inspiration
  2. the sewing techniques that will be used
  3. the reveal of the 11 blocks layout
  4. the fun FREE side event
  5. ideas for color combinations
  6. let's talk fabric...

And now, for today's post...

Let's start thinking ahead!

This block of the month event is a sampler style QAL, which means we will create the blocks each month, but how do you put them together?
I will use the Four patch texture blocks sashing to create a big quilt, but you may just want to join the blocks together using simpler and more traditional sashing options...

If that's the case, I have NINE sashing ideas for you!
I designed them for the Growing up QAL (2017) but they are just sashing ideas that use 12''x12'' (finished) blocks, so they would be perfect for 2018 blocks too!!


Note: the fabric amount for each sashing pattern is included in each pattern.

...
Speaking about thinking/prepping ahead.

In the inspiration post, I showed that my inspiration for this quilt is Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" painting. The key element of that painting is the incredible texture and variation of all the different strokes and colors in the sky.

To emulate that, I will use my sashing texture blocks, but there is another way to include some "Van Gogh" within a block: IMPROV MADE FABRIC!!

Several of the blocks will call for a background piece (or few "big cuts")... so why not creating these pieces by improv piecing, mixing and matching shapes and colors to create a dynamic effect?
Take scraps (or big pieces), join them at unusual angles, slice them, join them, slice, join, etc. :)
Stop when you reached a size that is "good" for now. It can be a complete 12.5''x12.5'' background piece, or it can be a small patch that you will use later as a regular small patch.

 

The point is: you can start preparing these pieces now, you don't have to wait until the patterns come out! The advantage is that you will be saving time later, and you will find it easier to create good contrast with the main "star" pieces if your "crazy background" is already assembled!


So what do you plan to do? 
Will you give this improv piecing a try? Or will you go for more traditional/regular piecing?
Share it in the comments below so that we can all inspire each other!!


NEXT TIME...
I will be sharing some pictures and small fabric/coloring cards for the blocks of the QAL that are not a mystery... I have many of them done, so I will provide you a little "printable tool" that you can use when you go shopping (from your stash or from a shop) for the fabric you want to use for your own quilt.

Remember to join the mailing list in the Google Form if you don't want to miss out on future posts!

Until next time,
Happy Stitching!!


Remember: all the details about the series are collected in the QAL web page.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to start on the textured blocks. I hope I have time to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea and good way to use up those little scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea I have two fabrics I really like that I wanted to use but I didn't have enough of either of them together with some different blues they will look really good thanks for another great idea. Can't wait to see your sashing blocks I might try and fit in a mini quilt with these as I already have an idea of the sashing I want to do from this years bom thanks for these great ideas and thanks in advance for more to come Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this idea! I am doing this on your quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to connect with all of you wonderful people!

Feel free to ask questions, leave feedback or just say hi!
Comments are moderated, and I answer each and every comment!
So please don't be shy, let me know how I can help!